Early Childhood Education
Located: Skokomish Head Start and Childcare North 91 Reservation Road Skokomish Nation, WA 98584
Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 7:30 am. to 5:30 pm.
Phone: (360) 877-9007 Fax: (360) 877-9054
The mission of the Skokomish Early Childhood Education Programs is to ensure children of the Skokomish Nation flourish socially, intellectually, emotionally and physically in cooperation with parents, elders, community and staff. We include children with disabilities to ensure that children with disabilities receive all the services they are entitled to under the rules in Performance Standards at 45 CFR part 130. For more information, contact Head Start at 360-877-9007
Summary of Services
Head Start is a comprehensive child development program, which serves children three to five-years-old and their families. Head Start is a child-focused program with the overall goal of increasing the school readiness of young children in low-income families.
The Head Start program has a long tradition of delivering comprehensive and high quality services designed to foster healthy development in low-income children. The Skokomish Head Start provides a range of individualized services in the areas of education and early childhood development, medical, dental and mental health; nutrition and parent involvement. In addition, the entire range of individualized services is responsive to and appropriate to each childs’ and families’ developmental, ethnic, cultural and linguistic heritage and experience.
- Provide a safe, healthy and quality learning environment
- Introduce a variety of activities and information to promote physical, social, emotional, and intellectual (cognitive) development
- Provide nutritious food, a scheduled rest and exercise that promotes health development
- Promote the health and well-being of the child by determining the child health status
- Provide a daily schedule to encourage learning and interaction
- Be a positive role model
- Promote parent and program partnerships
- Implement transition activities for children, their families and local school districts
- Meet the 85% daily attendance requirement
- Meet quarterly with parents to report their progres during the academic year
Requirements For Enrollment
- Three years old
- Birth Certificate
- Current Immunization Record
- Physical Examination/Dental Screening
- Income verification
- Enrollment Packet with signatures
- Vision, Hearing, Hermadocrit and Lead Screenings
- Evidence of follow up when child is referred out for services
- Special Note: We are not a first come, first serve program. We are required by the Office of Head Start to use a Priority Scale to determine who is most eliglible for open enrollment slots.
Head Start Class Schedule
Orca Class Times: 8:30 – 12.:00 (Monday through Thursday)
Eagle Class Times: 12:30 – 4:00 (Monday through Thursday)
Child Care Mission Statement
The Skokomish Childcare strives to provide an environment where children get the opportunity to learn about problem solving, communication skills and developing inner control. The providers will create schedules, routines, and activities that will be most effective in assisting in learning about social, physical, emotional, and creative growth.
Admission and Enrollment Policy
The Skokomish Child Care Center provides childcare for children age 12 months to 12 years old. The center has two classrooms. We currently do not serve infants. One of our goals is to expand services to include infants and provide care for children 6 weeks to 12 years old. The Childcare and Head Start work together to provide quality services for children and families. The wrap-around program service provides a full day of services for working families.
Child To Staff Ratio
The number of adults that must be present in the Center and/or classroom is established by state regulations.
|Age of Children||Number of Adult Supervisors|
|12 months through 30 months||1 adult to 7 children|
|30 months through 5 years||1 adult to 10 children|
|5 years and older||1 adult to 15 children|
Child Care Goal
The goal of the Childcare Program is to meet the individual needs of each child and their family. The staff strives to create an environment where each child is respected as an individual and a team player. Our goal of each day is to help each student reach a comfort zone where they feel safe, happy, loved and secure and they can have fun.
The Skokomish Indian Tribal Council in accordance with the Child Care regulations established by the State of Washington licenses the Skokomish Child Care Program. A copy of our current license is posted in the Early Childhood Education Building.
|Full Day (5 hours or more)||$30.30|
|Part Time (less than 5 hours)||$15.15|
|Full Day (5 hours or more)||$26.47|
|Part Time (less than 5 hours)||$13.24|
|Full Day (5 hours or more)||$25.89|
|Part Time (less than 5 hours)||$12.95|
|After School Fees (Hood Canal)||$7.00|
We include children with disabilities to ensure that children with disabilities receive all the services they are entitled to under the rules in Performance Standards at 45 CFR part 130.
For more information, contact Head Start at 360-877-9007
- Workshops & Training for families
- Home-visits and Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Policy Council
- Monthly Family Fun Events
- Access to community resources
|Education Director||Antonio Sandifer||360-877-9007 email@example.com|
|Family Services and Education||Tahnee Miller||360-877-9007|
|ECE Manager||Laila Longshore-Smith||360-877-9007 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Bus Driver/Head Start Aide||Dawn Cralleemail@example.com|
|Cook/Child Care Coordinator||Sonja Geefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Lead Child Care Teacher||Terry Johnsemail@example.com|
|ECE Disabilities/Mental Health Coordinator||Tristan Johnsonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Lead Child Care Teacher||Helen Tinazaemail@example.com|
|Child Care Teacher||Penny Deanfirstname.lastname@example.org|